Roulette Game Rules: A Guide
Roulette is a popular casino game that has been around for centuries. It's a game of chance where players place bets on where a small ball will land on a spinning wheel.
There are many roulette variations, but the most typical version is European Roulette, which has 37 slots numbered from 0 to 36. This article will discuss roulette rules and how to play the game.
Understanding the Roulette Table
The roulette table consists of a wheel and a betting layout. The wheel is divided into numbered slots, alternating in colors of red and black, with the green slot for 0 (or 00 in American roulette). The betting layout is a grid of numbers and other betting options. The numbers on the grid correspond to those on the wheel.
Types of Bets
There are two types of bets in roulette: inside and outside.
Inside bets are placed on exact numbers or groups of numbers on the betting structure. They offer higher payouts but have lower odds of winning. Inside bets include:
- Straight-up: betting on a single number. Payout is 35:1.
- Split: betting on two adjacent numbers by placing a chip on the line between them. Payout is 17:1.
- Street: betting on three numbers in a horizontal line by placing a chip on the line at the edge of the row. Payout is 11:1.
- Corner: betting on four numbers that meet at a corner by placing a chip on the intersection of the lines between them. Payout is 8:1.
- Six line: betting on two adjacent streets by placing a chip on the line at the edge of both rows. Payout is 5:1.
Outside bets are placed on the outside of the betting layout and cover larger groups of numbers. They offer lower payouts but have higher odds of winning. Outside bets include:
- Red or black: betting on the slot colour the ball will land on. Payout is 1:1.
- Odd or even: betting on whether the number the ball lands on will be odd or even. Payout is 1:1.
- Low or high: betting on whether the number the ball lands on
- will be low (1-18) or high (19-36). Payout is 1:1.
- Dozen: betting on one of three groups of 12 numbers (1-12, 13-24, 25-36). Payout is 2:1.
- Column: betting on one of three vertical columns of numbers. Payout is 2:1.
To place a bet, you must first purchase chips from the dealer. Each player is given a different color of chips to avoid confusion. Once you receive some chips, you can position them on the betting layout by clicking or tapping the related area. You can place multiple bets on the same spin.
Spinning the Wheel
Once all bets have been completed, the croupier will spin the wheel in one direction and the ball in the opposite direction. Once the ball loses momentum, it will come to a stop in one of the numbered slots on the wheel. The winning number is determined and announced by the dealer.
If you win, the dealer will pay out your winnings according to the payout table. The payout alters depending on the kind of bet you placed. If you lose, the dealer will collect your chips.
There are a few rules of etiquette you should follow when playing roulette:
- Wait until the dealer has cleared all bets before placing yours.
- Don't touch your chips once the dealer has called "no more bets."
- Don't try to change your bet or remove your chips once the ball is in play.